Total Knee Replacement in Bhopal
Most of the people stay in a dilemma of What is the right time of life for undergoing a knee joint replacement surgery? Now days, as people are adopting more sedentary lifestyles and poor diets, thus they have started to suffer from osteoarthritis and other degenerative joint diseases at earlier ages.
There is no perfect age for undergoing joint replacement surgery, but if your daily actions are affected such as sitting, standing, walking, driving or working, then it is vital that you consult best orthopedic doctor in Bhopal as soon as possible. An orthopedic surgeon will thoroughly examine you and will provide best treatment options.
A painful knee can seriously hamper a persons capacity to walk freely and make him dependent not only on drugs to relieve pain but also on others for mobility. The solution to painful arthritic knee is now easily available in form of Knee Surface Replacement.
For an individual aged above 60 years, having painful knee joints which hamper day to day living, knee surface replacement is an ideal choice. With current state of progress in every field of medicine, conditions like diabetes, hypertension, cardiac insufficiency are no more contraindications for surgery. Even obesity is not a problem.
Who can go for joint replacement surgery?
Joint Replacement in Elderly Patients
- While determining eligibility of hip joints replacement surgery, the persons health, the extent of joint problem and severity of the disability is looked into.
- In some cases, osteoporosis can be reason for not adopting joint replacement surgery as in that scenario, the bones become too brittle so as to support the implant.
- Age plays a vital role in any surgery, but in joint replacement surgery, it depends on the severity of the issue. It is one variable factor amongst other equally important ones.
- The decision to go for the surgery depends upon the proper evaluations. Also, surgery is the last option as all other alternatives are well tried and eliminated.
Joint Replacement in Young Patients
- Patients with the age of 80 to 90 facing joint pains needs to undergo joint replacement surgery depending upon the severity of issue and evaluation. The relief from pain and disability can make all the difference for elderly patients.
- They would require special treatment, monitoring and care, before and after the surgery. Also, if there is any co-existing and age-related medical condition in the elderly patients, then the healthcare professionals may have to keep special care of the patient.
- There is a need for extensive postoperative assistance and care for the elderly patients after knee joint replacement surgery.
- For the younger patients, the doctors would sometimes recommend waiting unless the condition is debilitating.
- Also, the younger people have the ability to wear out their prostheses sooner. But if the condition becomes critical, then the ideal age for undergoing joint replacement surgery for younger patients is after 15 years.
- The young patients undergoing the surgery, also need to take care of themselves pre and postoperative.
The total knee joints replacement surgery
is relatively safe since it is carried out under Epidural Anesthesia. This anesthesia is better tolerated by the elderly. There is also an added advantage of postoperative analgesia by use of infusion pump. The infusion pump is used to deliver the calculated fractional dose suitable for an individual patient.
The patient is constantly monitored with the Pulse Oxymeter to measure the Oxygen concentration of blood and Cardioscope to evaluate cardiac function during the surgery.
Unlike hip joint replacement
where a large part of the upper end femur is removed to be replaced by metallic implant, in Knee Surface Replacement only the irregular superficial surface of femoral and tibal condyles are shaved, which are then resurfaced using cobalt chrome prosthesis for the femur the tibia with an Ultra High Molecular Weight High Density Polyethylene (UHMWHDPE) insert for the tibia and patella, as this combination of metal and plastic has minimum friction and is well tolerated by the body.
Knee Replacement Surgery Is One of The Most Successful Procedures Used for Relief of Pain, Gaining the Range of Motion And improving The Ability to Walk, for a Variety of Painful Knee Disorders.
If you are advised knee replacement surgery, it is natural that you would want to know more about it. This website gives you all the information, which you wish to know, it explains, in simple words, what to expect before, during and after the surgery. It is meant to help you understand the intricacies of this complex surgery. In simple language, you are told what will be done for you by the medical and paramedical staff and what you are required to do to achieve the desired end result. It is recommended that you go through this website before you undergo the surgery. If you have any questions, please use the feedback form and we would be glad to help.
Dr. RP Singh
is well-known, an experienced orthopedic surgeon
who is performing total knee replacement (TKR) in Bhopal, Central India from many years.
The Patient Can Walk The Next Day After Surgery And Can Go Home In 5 To 7 Days. Daily Physical Therapy Is required for about 3 week.